Friday, August 6, 2010

My friend just raves over the yummy goodness that is known as a "Whoopie Pie".  Sadly, I have never tried one nor even seen one in person and therefore, cannot actually join her laudation.




It is now my mission to seek out, render, and consume a whoopie pie of my own.  The beginnings of my research are as follows:


whoopie pie (alternatively called a gobblack-and-whitebob, or "BFO" for Big Fat Oreo) is a baked good made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake, sometimes pumpkin cake, with a sweet, creamy frosting sandwiched between them.[1] While considered a New England phenomenon and a Pennsylvania Amish tradition,[2]they are increasingly sold throughout the United States.[1] According to food historians, Amish women would bake these (known as hucklebucks at the time) and put them in farmers' lunchboxes. When farmers would find these treats in their lunch, they would shout "Whoopie!"[1]


Thanks to the wonderful folks at Wikipedia, I now actually know what the heck these things are. 


Will be back with my findings in another post as soon as I find someone to aide me in this endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input.