Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Uncle Marine!

The other family some family members dropped by and asked me to make some cupcakes for my uncle's birthday.  He is turning 76, likes chocolate, and spent a lot of time in the Marines.  24 chocolate cupcakes later, I was armed with the Marine red and gold to cut out, dry and pipe these fondant circles.  I piped some detail on each round and let THAT dry.  When they were completely dried, I painted the details with gold shimmer dust mixed with vodka to make a kind of paste.


Don't get too excited!
The vodka evaporates faster than water so as not to make the icing soggy 
and leaves no aftertaste.  

ANYWAY...Painting the gold was difficult b/c you can't simply wipe off any mistakes.  It gets absorbed into the fondant as soon as your paint brush makes contact.  I really did enjoy trying out the new technique and look forward to doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input.