Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fondant!

Tonight is our Valentine's banquet for my sorority.  I am set to bring mashed potatoes.  Typically i bring a dessert but not tonight.  Well, actually...

I decided to bring a dessert anyway.  I have never worked with fondant before and have been desperately wanting a reason to try it.  So, it being a major holiday and such, I baked a red velvet cake in the shape of a heart.  Using a serrated knife, I rounded it off to make it pretty.  Then, I iced the cake with cream cheese icing (yum) and put it in the fridge to set up.

I then worked the fondant into a nice, gooey ball and powdered the counter top with powdered sugar.  (The powdered sugar adds to the sweetness instead of detracting from it.)  I rolled the fondant with my rolling pin and laid it over the cake.  Smoothing it down wasn't too bad.  On my little six inch practice cake, I tore the fondant and didn't really know what to do.  I guess I should have rerolled it but I just covered it by piping over the crack with the cream cheese icing.



In the end, I think my cake turned out well.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  The only thing I will do differently next time is to use more cream cheese icing underneath the fondant.  The flavor and textures were a little unbalanced without the extra icing.  But it still tasted great.  Not bad for my first try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your input.